There’s a lot of similar questions asked over and over, so this page hopefully saves you time by giving you the answers you’re looking for!
Also, keep an eye on the What the FAQ? Playlist for more FAQs answered in video form!
- What’s your computer specs?
- What gear (camera, microphone, etc.) do you use?
- What audio editing software do you use?
- What video editing software do you use?
- What’s your Skype/Steam/XBL/PSN/Facebook?
- What recording software do you use?
- What cursor do you use? && How do you get review samples?
- Why should I support you on Patreon?
- Why do you use so many tabs?
- What wallpaper is that? && Sub4Sub? Shoutout pls?
Ready? Let’s get into it.
What’s your computer specs?
This is a complicated one to answer, given we use multiple “main” computers to do our work. I’ll divide the spec lists out per rig and update as I can.
(Most product links provided are affiliate links that provide a small kickback to me if you purchase using the links.)
EposVox Personal Rig 2016
- ASUS X99-A II Motherboard
- Intel Core i7-6900K (8 Cores, 16 Threads) CPU 3.2 GHz
- 32GB ADATA XPG Z1 DDR4-3000MHz RAM
- 400GB Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD
- ASETEK 550LC 120MM Water Cooler
- CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 5
- EVGA 850W 80Plus Gold GQ Modular PSU
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GPU
- Creative SoundBlaster Z Sound Card
- Elgato HD60 Pro Capture Card
EposVox Personal Rig 2014 (Chu’s Rig)
- ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard
- AMD FX-9590 (4 Cores, 8 Threads) CPU
- Noctua NH-D15 Cooler
- 32GB Kingston HyperX Blu RAM
- ASUS STRIX Nvidia GTX 970 GPU
- Fractal Design Define R5 Case
- Mixed SSDs & HDDs
“CineformBox” Transcoding Server
- 2x Intel Xeon X5560 CPUs
- Supermicro Server X8DTi-F Motherboard
- 32GB Kingston ECC Memory
- 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Coolers
- XFX Nvidia GTX 660 GPU
- Mixed SSDs & HDDs
- Fractal Design Define XL R2 Case
- Epos: System76 Lemur Linux Laptop (2016)
- Epos: HP 14″ Chromebook (2013)
- Epos: Samsung Galaxy Note 5
- Chu: Samsung Galaxy S7
What gear (camera, microphone, etc.) do you use?
This is a tad difficult question to answer, given that a LOT of gear is used to make our videos, depending on which video it is.
- ElectroVoice RE-20 (w/ hardware processing rack)
- ElectroVoice RE-320 (w/ hardware processing rack)
- Rode Procaster
- Audio Technica AT2020
- Editors Keys SLE1
- Sennheiser AVX Wireless Lav Kit
- Saramonic Wireless Lav Kit
- Rode NTG-2 Shotgun Mic
I have an hardware audio processing rack that I built to process and record any XLR-based microphones with.
- Logitech BRIO 4K Webcam
- Logitech C922 Pro Stream Webcam
- Logitech C920 Webcam
Check out my webcam reviews playlist for more webcam coverage.
- Panasonic Lumix G7 Mirrorless 4K
- Canon EOS Rebel T3i (600D) DSLR
- Canon Vixia HF R500 Camcorder
- Canon PowerShot SX280 HS
- Samsung Galaxy Note 5 (for video/vlogging)
- Samsung Galaxy S7 (for video/vlogging)
- LG G4 (for video/vlogging)
What audio editing software do you use?
We primarily use Adobe Audition to record and edit audio these days, but Audacity still comes in handy quite often.
Check out this playlist for content on processing audio in Audacity and Audition.
What video editing software do you use?
I use Adobe Premiere Pro as my primary video editing platform, with Audition for vocals, Photoshop for graphics, and After Effects for animation and motion graphics.
For Premiere Pro tips and tricks, check out this playlist.
What’s your Skype/PSN/Steam/XBL/Facebook?
Our main gaming and communication profiles are our personal ones, so we’re currently working to limit the amount of subscriber adds and interactions on those accounts, for security reasons and convenience. Feel free to contact us through our Twitter profiles (EposVox, Chu), or on the official Facebook page, or Google+ – or head over to the Contact page.
What recording software do you use?
Another difficult question, as I use many. My desktop and gaming recording toolkit includes:
- Elgato Game Capture
- Open Broadcaster Software (OBS Studio)
- Nvidia Shadowplay
- Mrilis Action
What cursor do you use? && How do you get review samples?
I’m combining these two as to not repeat post the same “What the FAQ?” video, since they don’t need long explanations.
How do I get review samples?
Short answer: I find the press or media-related contact email for the company and email them to ask, or they reach out to me and ask me to review their product.
Set yourself up to be more likely to get review products by reviewing many things and doing a good job at it.
Why should I support you on Patreon?
I aim to create free, helpful educational videos on technology. Supporting me helps me make more of that helpful content and cover areas you want covered. I also try to provide worthwhile reward tiers for supporting on Patreon.
Why do you use so many tabs?
I… just do?
What wallpaper is that? && Sub4Sub? Shoutout pls?
Reverse image search.
No, I will not do Sub4Sub on YouTube – and I strongly recommend you stop immediately – and no I won’t shout you out based on you asking me to.